Dr. Betty Murray joins me today to share lots of new information! We discuss how changes in estrogen- both too much during perimenopause and not enough after menopause, lead to metabolic changes in the cells that slow your metabolism. We get into how the genetics that control estrogen detoxification may lead to weight gain and risk for diabetes, obesity, and cancer, how menopause interferes with the key cellular fat switch, and the foods that turn that fat switch on. Betty also shares her three diet rules that may need to be broken to lose weight and keep it off for life.
Three diet rules for losing weight:
- Avoid fake sweeteners
- Stay hydrated
- Avoid purine-rich foods and flavor enhancements
Listen to the Episode
“It’s estimated that 90% of women will experience some weight gain as they go through the transition into menopause. That can be on average anywhere between 8 to 10 years, and then our metabolism as females slows 5% for every decade over 20. So we have this automatic slowing of things.”
– Dr.Betty Murray
About Dr. Betty Murray:
Betty Murray is a nutrition expert, Ph.D. researcher, certified functional medicine practitioner, and speaker.
Betty helps women over 40 harness their hormones to lose weight, optimize sleep, restore energy, and thrive in life.
During her research for her Ph.D., Betty made 4 key discoveries that lead to hormone and metabolic imbalances that plague women over 40.
Restoring balance to these key metabolic and hormone pathways is the basis of her Hormone Reset Program. This program has helped her and hundreds of her clients lose weight easily, reduce hot flashes, restore sleep, and turn up their energy without living on a diet of deprivation.
She is also the host of the Menopause Mastery Podcast and the founder and CEO of Living Well Dallas Functional Medicine Center.
She is a frequently featured nutrition expert on Fox News Broadcasting, CW33, NBC, and CBS.
“We have this metabolic inflexibility. Our body says it will burn sugar and make sugar, and hold onto body fat. At the core of it, insulin resistance is part of that.”
Dr. Betty Murray
In This Episode:
- Not talked-about things Betty discovered about weight gain. (5:06)
- Some statistics about weight gain. (5:07)
- How insulin resistance leads to metabolic inflexibility. (6:23)
- How adrenal stress can cause metabolic derangement. (8:07)
- How to know when your fat switch is on and how uric acid drives that mechanism. (14:13)
- Why it’s hard to get rid of body fat during menopause. (16:49)
- How genetics can lead to weight gain. (18:45)
- What can you do to support estrogen metabolism? (25:08)
- Foods that can drive high uric acid levels. (28:03)
- What happens when you are dehydrated? (29:43)
- How to eat to balance your hormones and lose weight. (37:20)
Links & Resources
Dr. Murray’s Social Media Links::
Betty’s website: www.bettymurray.com
Betty’s clinic: www.livingwelldallas.com
Menopause Mastery Podcast: https://www.bettymurray.com/menopause-mastery-podcast-list/
Relative Links for This Show::
Follow Your Longevity Blueprint