Andy Pace works with homeowners, builders, and architects around the globe to create healthy and safe living environments for residents. He joins me today for the first part of a two-part series to explain why that is so important and offer advice and tips. He clarifies what makes a home healthy, safe, and non-toxic, what to prioritize when making your home healthier and how to reduce mold and off gassing inside your home.
Two types of off-gassing that occur in a new house:
- Cured or applied materials, like paint adhesives and caulking liquids, cure on site and off-gas daily but generally take anywhere from two-and-a-half to four-and-a-half years to completely off-gas.
- Odiferous chemicals tend to off-gas much quicker and flush out through the ventilation system.
Listen to the Episode
Andy Pace’s Bio:
Andy Pace is a Healthy Home Concierge with over 30 years of experience in the healthy home building materials industry.
He is the founder of the Green Design Center and host of the Non-Toxic Environments Podcast.
He is an expert at creating healthy homes that are non-toxic and free of off-gassing.
He has a strong focus on mold prevention and remediation, and he works with contractors and home builders around the world to create healthy breathing within the home through proper HVAC systems, humidifiers and other modes of healthy ventilation.
His projects and expertise have been featured in numerous media outlets and industry podcasts, including Men’s Health, Architectural Digest and Wellnessmama, just to name a few.
In this episode:
- Home health risks and mitigation strategies (10:30)
- How formaldehyde gets off-gassed from flooring materials (12:43)
- Where does most of the off-gassing occur in a new house? (14:46)
- Ways to reduce chemical off-gassing in a new home (14:51)
- The importance of using carbon-based air filters (18:55)
- How to test your home for off-gassing (21:45)
- Managing HVAC and moisture issues in homes and commercial spaces (24:32)
- How to prevent mold in your bathroom (29:55)
Links & Resources
Follow Your Longevity Blueprint
Relative Links for This Show::